Interview with Ilhami Öztürk, Secretary General of Association of National Development Finance Institutions in Member Countries of the Islamic Development Bank (ADFIMI).
1. How important were the actions taken by development banks during the crisis generated by the Covid-19 pandemic?
Actions taken by development banks and institutions were crucial to sustain all sorts of economic activities during the crisis generated by the Covid-19 pandemic
2. What are the priority lines of action, themes, or sectors for the development banks in your region?
Health and health related sectors, mass transportation services, telecommunications sector, renewable energy sector, electricity supplying services, delivery services sector, food and food supply services, food retail markets sector, livelihood, fisheries and agricultural development supports.
3. How strongly does climate change impact your region and what are development banks doing to adapt to and mitigate it?
Development banks are supporting the renewable energy investments.
4. What do you consider that development banks in your region should focus on more strongly to improve job creation and, in general, the people’s well-being?
Development banks should focus on SMEs.
5. In perspective, how do you view the importance of the development banks in your region? Is there a genuine interest in strengthening them and giving them a key role to play in the countries’ development?
A genuine interest is there and it could be maintained as long as the development banks meet the real agenda of their respective countries and come up with employment generating project fundings and support financial stability.
6. In this new post-Covid-19 international scenario, how do you see the relationship between development banks and a global initiative such as Finance in Common?
The interaction between local development banks and financial institutions of an international nature may open a window of observation and experience sharing.
7. Do you consider that international organizations and global summits like the United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP) are giving development banks the position they are entitled to and taking advantage of their potential? What would you propose?
In the struggle against climate change; It is essential to renovate the industrial infrastructure of the whole world and this requires full support of the development banks.
8. Just how committed are the development banks in your region to the sustainable development goals (SDGs)?
Development banks are remaining committed to sustainable development goals based on the economic development levels of their respected countries.
9. How are digitalization tools and financial technology being incorporated in development banks to enhance your region’s financial inclusion, and in general to improve their efficiency and coverage?
Development banks provide financial supports to essential digital transformation projects.
10. What do you suggest be done to strengthen and enhance the institutional presence of the World Federation of Development Financing Institutions at the global level?
WFDFI must take part actively in global summits and organize summits focusing on the SDGs in cooperation with UN and other similar organizations.
Warning: Array to string conversion in /home/wfdfi/public_html/wp-content/themes/experts/includes/library/functions.php on line 304